Author Topic: FreeDomainRadio Uses Copyright Rules To Get Tru Shibes videos removed?  (Read 2304 times)

Argent

• FDR Authority
    Re: FreeDomainRadio Uses Copyright Rules To Get Tru Shibes videos removed?
    « Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 10:35:09 PM »
    My guess is, he would justify this using an analogy to defending his child from an attacker (or something similar).

If he and his daughter are walking down the street and an attacker pounces, is he going to stop and give a logical list of reasons for intervening? No, he's clearly justified in immediately jumping in to protect her. Even if he considers himself a pacifist in the abstract, he's not going to stand there and watch someone attack his daughter.

Criticism of FDR now does more than bruise Stefan's ego. It also threatens his daughter's quality of life.

Similarly for MMD, his livelihood now depends on the success of FDR. I don't know what kind of deal they've worked out, but presumably if donations dip below some threshold, the researcher and then MMD are out of a job.

It would be nice if they were more committed to their principles than to their livelihoods, but I don't know many people like that. (Incidentally, this is one of the reasons why I don't think anarchism would be any more successful than what's in place now. People will always find a way to look out for themselves and their families first and foremost, even if it means trampling others in the process.)

I must admit, it would suck having someone put your years of rambling under the microscope to look for any inconsistencies. Unfortunately for Stefan, he called this upon himself by placing so much importance on the correctness of his arguments.

QuestEon

• Just some guy with a blog.
    • Administrator
    • FDR Wizard
    • What's your opinion? I'd love to hear it!
      • FDR Liberated
    « Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 10:44:57 PM »
    YouTube cancelled Tru Shibes' account, gang. I'm furious that Molyneux pulled off another unethical attack on a critic.
    It isn't about winning the debate. It's about the truth.

Argent

• FDR Authority
      « Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 11:01:51 PM »
      Really sucks for PoS because I can only imagine how much work was put into them. Maybe you can host them elsewhere so that they can at least be found by people who go looking for them?

As for Stefan, if he is going to force people to use text quotes rather than video quotes, he's only harming himself in the long run. He sarcastically says a lot of stuff that could easily be used against him if taken seriously. Video footage makes it easier for people to judge for themselves.

QuestEon

• Administrator
      • FDR Wizard
        • FDR Liberated

asaucerfulofsecrets

• FDR Curious
        « Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 11:33:18 PM »
        Hey all,

I come around from time to time but almost only ever lurk. Mostly, Facebook eats more of my FDR/Stef time (on occasion) though my interest in cutting way back on social media waxes and wanes.

I just want to give you all a heads up that apparently Stef will be guest on the Joe Rogan show this Thursday. It has come to my attention, through a private FB group member, that we might find it within interests to tweet to Rogan about this issue and see if he puts Stef on the spot with this issue.

Blog it. Facebook it. Tweet it. And load it on the alternative to youtube sites Q listed above.

Nanannanananaaa Leader!
        Nanananananaaa Leader!

Batman! I mean... Leader!
        I love The Leader!

BicameralMilieu

• White Knights
        • FDR Aware
          « Reply #20 on: August 18, 2014, 11:53:44 PM »
          YouTube cancelled Tru Shibes' account, gang. I'm furious that Molyneux pulled off another unethical attack on a critic.

Ditto. I'm on my "no more Mr. Nice Guy" zone.

QuestEon

• Administrator
          • FDR Wizard
            • FDR Liberated
          « Reply #21 on: August 19, 2014, 01:45:39 AM »
          I just put the following update on the blog post:

Update! One day after this post was written, Molyneux succeeded in having the Tru Shibes YouTube page deleted. However, I don’t think he’s going to be able to silence the work that has been done. Truth finds a way and I look forward to seeing those videos on-line again.

In the meantime, any Freedomain Radio True Believer is cordially invited to the FDR Liberated forum to explain how an internet philosopher—one with absolute notions regarding (1) intellectual property and (2) using the gun in the room to get your way—can participate in these actions without exposing himself as a hypocrite. No, “his employee did it” won’t be an acceptable defense. Yes, everyone will be very nice to you, because it’s that kind of forum. I, for one, would be fascinated by your arguments.

Call me crazy, but I don't think I'll get any takers.

Token Nazi

• FDR Curious
            « Reply #22 on: August 19, 2014, 03:07:17 AM »
            I just put the following update on the blog post:

Update! One day after this post was written, Molyneux succeeded in having the Tru Shibes YouTube page deleted. However, I don’t think he’s going to be able to silence the work that has been done. Truth finds a way and I look forward to seeing those videos on-line again.

In the meantime, any Freedomain Radio True Believer is cordially invited to the FDR Liberated forum to explain how an internet philosopher—one with absolute notions regarding (1) intellectual property and (2) using the gun in the room to get your way—can participate in these actions without exposing himself as a hypocrite. No, “his employee did it” won’t be an acceptable defense. Yes, everyone will be very nice to you, because it’s that kind of forum. I, for one, would be fascinated by your arguments.

Call me crazy, but I don't think I'll get any takers.

I think you and Karlsson don't understand what the purpose of philosophy is. In the act of explaining why the world is the way it is, you are engaging in the act of apologetics for whoever made the world the way it is, which is basically theodicy; this is the reason for Marx's infamous eleventh thesis on Feuerbach, and the flipside of the "reality based community".

I'm sure Molyneux can play hardball and gin up a rationalization for what he did, though it will take some doin'. I would recommend that he learn from the masters, but he seems content to just confuse different meanings of a word and abuse ambiguities in everyday vernacular, which he uses instead of more technical and precise vocabulary because "four-year-olds should be able to understand it". (Frankly, I think that if your kid can't parse Hegelese then he should be riding the short bus to school)

If he wasn't responsible for the suicides of bright young white people I might even consider being paid to defend him, but while the various elements of his schtick seem to be arbitrary, they're actually mutually supporting structural features that fit very well together, and what I like to write would clash with everything else.

JimJesus

• #ArizonaIcedOutBoys
            • FDR Curious
            • "I thought they taught philosophy over there."
              • Jim Jesus
            « Reply #23 on: August 19, 2014, 07:58:06 AM »
            Hello,

I'm the guy who made the video PUT THE GUN DOWN, STEFAN MOLYNEUX! Though I can't make an excuse for the man, because I find what he did inexcusable, I can provide you with excuses that I have received. One is even a current gold member from the FDR forum and the other Mr. Larken Rose himself. This seemed to be the only argument I've received and I think this is the angle they're going for.

Gold response: http://i.imgur.com/h5vJPvH.png
            Mr. Rose's response: http://i.imgur.com/Ctwmd7T.png

The Rose response is the reason why this retort is invalid. YouTube does have a EULA provision against copyright but only because of copyright law and the DMCA law. The DMCA takedown is a legal affidavit, and not an internal YouTube flag process. I've only received 5 types of response to this.

1. The first is restating the position as if it lends it any more validity. Then leads to...
            2. Silence. They walk away from the discussion for whatever reason.
            3. Personal attacks. Mr Molynuex would say this is #NaA
            4. That in an free society such a system would exist. Fair, but Mr. Molynuex has stated he's against the whole concept of IP. This would still make him a hypocrite.
            5. That Stef flagged it for CS or ToS violations and YouTube may have accidentally filed it under copyright. This is false because all copyright flags are done solely though the DMCA and not YouTube's flagging system. There is no flag for copyright nor may YouTube (nor anyone) make copyright claims against anyone they do not have rights to. YouTube does not involve themselves in copyright. When a takedown is ordered the videos go down as they are to be by law. There's no checking, investigating, or anything by YouTube. You may counterfile and YouTube doesn't check those either, that goes to the court house and if YouTube hears nothing from the court in 14 (?) days then it is automatically instated. It all works on code and algorithms. YouTube makes it clear they don't involve themselves in it when you make a claim or counterclaim. A Google search would have revealed this had they looked before they made the erroneous claim.

But hopefully that will provide some insight into what the furvant FDR followers have been spinning this. No word on what Mr. Molyneux has said. There was a rumor that he denied involvement, but it's all hearsay.

Hope this helped.
            « Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 09:10:14 AM by JimJesus »

megi

• FDR Authority
            • No longer malicious.
              « Reply #24 on: August 19, 2014, 09:39:47 AM »
              Hi guys, I downloaded all TruShibes videos, that survived the first two takedown requests yesterday. And I'll be uploading them to this mega.co.nz folder:

https://mega.co.nz/#F!aZ9wBAZS!XGZHNB2dXUzbg0c82r7mrg (fixed link)

I have 79 videos to upload, it will take some time.
              « Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 10:16:21 AM by megi »

megi

• FDR Authority
              • No longer malicious.
                « Reply #25 on: August 19, 2014, 09:56:38 AM »
                TruShibes, if you read this  ;), feel free to share the link on the facebook page.

asaucerfulofsecrets

• FDR Curious
                  « Reply #26 on: August 19, 2014, 10:40:39 AM »
                  Tru Shibes, scrampi, simply being on your FB page and making a comment got me Truth-Blocked from Stef's personal FB page.  :)

Best part of my day so far.
                  Nanannanananaaa Leader!
                  Nanananananaaa Leader!

Batman! I mean... Leader!
                  I love The Leader!

Fedaykin

• FDR Curious
                    « Reply #27 on: August 19, 2014, 10:58:14 AM »
                    First post after a while lurking but just to introduce myself, I have followed Stefan's antics for a number of years. Being an Atheist who follows that world on Youtube it is hard to miss him. Considering I so disagree with his politics I took a dislike to the man fairly quickly, a video he released a while back where he totally misunderstood British cultural structures and economy where he stated that we were at the edge of an economic collapse due to our health care system particularly irritated me (I'm British by the way). When I started to hear DeFOO stories that dislike turned to disgusted horror. I have much to say about the man and I hope you guys will allow my musings over time but this recent development has pushed me over the time to sign and make my voice heard threshold.

DMCA as a tool is a very blunt hammer and abuse of it is serious and illegal under US law. It should be remembered that a DMCA take down notice is filed under penalty of perjury under US law. How that relates to a Canadian citizen making the take down notice in Canada I do not know but this is a serious issue as Tru Shribes work would fall under the term educational or for the reason of criticism which is exempted under the act.

I get the impression that the initial take down notice on some videos was a bit of a fishing exercise to see what the reaction is. Unfortunately considering Stef and his followers to look at this forum when you said this scrampi:

Yes, that is clear, Q, but to defend them, I'd have to reveal my identity, and possibly get a lawyer.  I actually know a few IP attorneys personally, but this is so petty, it is probably not worthwhile for anyone.  Letting Stefan make a fool of himself, just as most of the videos revealed, might be more interesting.

You pretty much gave him open house to just continue abusing the DMCA system without risk of legal push back.

I remember a few years back Thunderf00t had his whole DMCA issue with various creationists leading to one making an apology under threat of legal action publicly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvCbNDGwypk

It might well be worth dropping him a line about this as he has had a recent run in with Stef himself over the last few weeks. Also the Electronic Frontiers Foundation might be another interesting line to take.

Anyhow pity it happened but don't let him win!

JimJesus

• #ArizonaIcedOutBoys
                    • FDR Curious
                    • "I thought they taught philosophy over there."
                      • Jim Jesus
                    « Reply #28 on: August 19, 2014, 12:03:52 PM »

thanks for the link to thunderf00t's video.  I am still evaluating options on how to fight this, after I get to know more about the laws around this, and also the precedents that have been set.

I'll be glad to donate Dogecoins to the effort. :P

Prodigal son

• White Knights
                    • FDR Wizard
                    • I got serious
                      « Reply #29 on: August 19, 2014, 01:05:10 PM »
                      Lowering the tone a little here, but I wanted to draw your attention to the sad situation afflicting one respondent to Jim Jesus's video. This is an older gentleman who many will recognise as a bigger PK than the Great Man himself and a primary "undue influencer" of the young and dispirited, but his mighty thrust failed so badly that I even suspect Jim Jesus and Dr. Elvis H. Christ thought he was supporting their cause. Doh!

Can't work out how to post a screenshot worth a damn due to limited intelligence, but the comment references British TV comedyh classic 'Dad's Army'.

I stood up