Author Topic: Alexandra Stein - Trauma bonding and cults  (Read 1044 times)

Patience

• FDR Enlightened
    Alexandra Stein - Trauma bonding and cults
    « on: January 19, 2013, 10:12:59 AM »
    Dr Alexandra Stein explains how charismatic leaders operate and where they get their ideas from.  She is not talking about Molyneux or Freedomain Radio, but comparisons could be made with the techniques used in some of the organisations she describes.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/harm-reduction/2012/08/23/trauma-bonding-and-cults

Elucidated

• Kallipolis Agitator
    • FDR Authority
      Re: Alexandra Stein - Trauma bonding and cults
      « Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 01:32:03 PM »
      Good find - fascinating. Around 28 minutes, she talks about the key thing that tells you a group you are in is dangerous, is if it tries to isolate you from friends and family.

Wow - shunned when you leave and becoming like a non-person.
      « Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 01:39:38 PM by Elucidated »
      “Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.”

(- Albert Camus)

Prodigal son

• White Knights
      • FDR Wizard
      • I got serious
        « Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 02:31:54 PM »
        Thanks for posting this. I found the talk to be extremely enlightening. I was especially interested in the hypothesis concerning attachment or imperfect attachment, and also the idea of almost enforced dissociation as a means of control. This is something that echoes my experience not so much of my childhood, but rather of my adult life prior to becoming involved with FDR and something that, counterintuitively (perhaps because I am older than most true believers) my exposure to FDR eventually helped me to overcome - initially as a direct trade (which might explain my initial attraction), and finally in the form of complete release. I suspect I am atypical in this regard though.
        I stood up

Prodigal son

• White Knights
        • FDR Wizard
        • I got serious
          « Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 02:35:54 PM »
          Wow - shunned when you leave and becoming like a non-person.

Indeed. I remember hearing members (true believers) who had left and spoken against the organisation being described as "train wrecks" as though some terrible event had overtaken them and completely smashed them up - they became like non-people because they had seen the light and turned away.
          I stood up

Lone Ranger

• FDR Authority
          • "Irresponsible dangerous woman" (Stef sez so)
            « Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 01:28:41 PM »
            This is entertaining for me, since my hubby is prolly related to one of the cult leaders mentioned there.  ::)
            Because the horror of Communism, Stalinism, is not that bad people do bad things — they always do. It’s that good people do horrible things thinking they are doing something great.