Author Topic: Introduction to BBCode  (Read 599 times)

QuestEon

• Just some guy with a blog.
  • Administrator
  • FDR Wizard
  • What's your opinion? I'd love to hear it!
    • FDR Liberated
Introduction to BBCode
« on: February 09, 2012, 12:04:03 AM »
BBCode is way to make your words do exactly what you want them to do.

The word "BBCode" is short for Bulletin Board Code. It's a set of codes for this forum that allows you to easily insert links, or tables, or make your text stand out a little more.

It may be your preference when you write posts to use the WYSIWYG editor and the formatting buttons. I like to enter the code myself. (And if you didn't know, you can change back and forth between those two views in the editor by clicking the "Toggle view" button. It looks like an arrow in between red brackets.)

In either view, BBCode can come in handy.

Using BBCode is simple. If you want to change some text, just put the code in brackets at the beginning of the change, then the same code (preceded by a slash) in brackets at the end.

In other words, if you want to make something bold, just do this:     [b]Hurray for philosophy![/b]

...and it will come out looking like this:     Hurray for philosophy!

Yes, you could also just click the "B" button in the editor but there are a few things you can't do with just the editor buttons. For example, when I wrote the acronym "WYSIWYG" in the third paragraph, I actually wrote this:  "[abbr=What you see is what you get]WYSIWYG[/abbr]." Now if you mouse over it, the words "What you see is what you get" pop up!

So, if you want to geek out with codes, this is the way to go!

A basic list of BBCodes that this forum recognizes is right here.

Somewhat outdated, but advanced lists are here: BBCodes ( A-G )   ( H-Q )   ( R-W )

I hope this is useful; however, I'll leave you with this thought:

BBCode might be able to can really make text stand out...

...but nothing gets your point across better than a few well-chosen words.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 11:29:01 PM by QuestEon »
It isn't about winning the debate. It's about the truth.