Author Topic: Molyneux's philosophy of (un)forgiveness  (Read 4539 times)

QuestEon

• Just some guy with a blog.
  • Administrator
  • FDR Wizard
  • What's your opinion? I'd love to hear it!
  • Respect: +436
    • FDR Liberated
Molyneux's philosophy of (un)forgiveness
« on: July 16, 2010, 01:31:12 AM »
Molyneux’s podcast “The Philosophy of Forgiveness” actually offered an unintended, but fascinating insight into his ability to hold a grudge!

Read the article here:  Molyneux's philosophy of (un)forgiveness

Read the archive of previous comments on Liberating Minds here:  Liberating Minds--Molyneux's Philosophy of (un)Forgiveness

And please...continue the discussion below!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 11:42:17 PM by QuestEon »
It isn't about winning the debate. It's about the truth.

starmancer

• UPB & J
  • FDR Curious
  • Respect: 0
    Re: Molyneux's philosophy of (un)forgiveness
    « Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 09:29:18 PM »
    Thank you for this post. As soon as I learned what "deFOO" meant I was deeply concerned about what SM must be teaching people. For someone who claims up and down to be a guiding light to creating healthy relationships, defooing is completely upside down and backwards. SM claims to be the best thing to happen to humanity since Jesus, but if that were the case I would expect his revelations on morality to build upon, extend or improve what the great philosophers of the past have taught. Instead this confused paradigm runs in the opposite direction from love and reconciliation towards an extreme of selfishness you wouldn't even see from Ayn Rand.

HansKarlsson

• FDR Enlightened
    • Respect: +13
      « Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 01:40:04 AM »
      Very clear and correct analysis. Every true believer should read it, because Molyneux references his forgiveness standards in many of his calls. I think it all comes from his projection and unsolved family issues. He tries to work around it so he makes stuff up, even if he contradicts himself.

I think I'm going on a rant here, so you may want to skip reading this. 3 out of the 7 uncles and aunts I have defood about 30 years ago. The many fights they were having with their parents convinced them not to visit or call any more. They were in abusive relationships and I fully understand/support their actions. It was not about restitution, but about the current relationship not working. So if you ask me, neither Molyneux nor Mackler invented defooing, but my relatives :)Giving Molyneux's eagerness to convince his listeners to defoo, I'm not even sure he was such a case that warranted to break-up with his family, from his brother in particular. And the way he constructs his (un)forgiveness case, it is clear that with every point he just diggs a deeper hole for his listeners, so they 'understand' nobody can repair any small wrongdoing from their childhoods.

Molyneux sets himself up with this standards too. Any promise he makes to you that he brakes should bring the relationship to an end, without any clarifications needed on your part. By his standards, at this point I don't see how any restitution could be made to TruShibes for example... and in case he recognizes that and applies his own standards, suicide is the only "solution" to live with himself.

Helping a human being develop is such a huge and complex task that nobody I know of nailed it down with any sort of precision. However, Molyneux makes the case that parents in general knew better just by watching TV so they didn't do the best they could. He again sets himself up for a constant failure, as he constantly fails at parenting (see the "cry it out" or rewards discussions) by his own standards, but his way out is to not show the same empathy towards his child that he requests his listeners demand from their parents. Actually I think that many of his defooed listeners are lacking empathy or are not able to process yet the complex tasks they simply dismiss as the failures of their relatives. Unfortunately, they only realize how strange everything is only after they subject themselves to the same impossible standards.
      "Everything that's rich and deep is crap."
      -Stefan Molyneux

Mike_Lice

• FDR Wizard
      • Respect: +318
        « Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 05:22:37 AM »
        lol imagine applying this forgiveness tactic on a large scale in the molyneux anarchist utopia world. Everyone would defoo from each other and live alone.

Elvis_left_the_building

• FDR Enlightened
        • Lewd and raunchy freethinker
        • Respect: +21
          « Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 01:37:07 PM »
          Molyneux’s podcast “The Philosophy of Forgiveness” actually offered an unintended, but fascinating insight into his ability to hold a grudge!

Read the article here:  Molyneux's philosophy of (un)forgiveness

Read the archive of previous comments on Liberating Minds here:  Liberating Minds--Molyneux's Philosophy of (un)Forgiveness

And please...continue the discussion below!

Bro, you got it all wrong. That is like saying "I love you" to someone and expecting those person to love you and if those person does not love you immediately, she is a cold hearted biatch.

The same would apply if you burned down someone's house and expect him to forgive you by saying the words "I am sorry." I mean, you can train a parrot to say "I am sorry" but that is as genuine as a certificate of authenticity of a Chinese fake Rolex. Someone who does not try to order his feelings around does not hold a grudge.